Friday, August 2, 2013

Losing weight on a budget? Yep, me too.

I had such a great response yesterday to this post about my personal training experience, that I wanted to write a follow up.

I feel like I needed to offer a Part 2.

An alternative.

A "just in case personal training is not an option for you right now financially or you don't live close to Heart in Sol." :-)

So, like most of my other posts about weight loss and healthy living, I'll start with a "before pic".

You know, so you can see how far we've come from here...

Beach Trip 2010


...to here.
Beach Trip 2013


Here's another one for you. I like to call this, on the left, my "TMZ Picture." You know, where you get caught in the worst.pose.ever. and have no idea the camera is on you.

Yeah.




 
 
 




 
But I digress...
So, again, not everyone has access to this guy...
 
So, sometimes, you have to be creative. And it sometimes requires some trial and error.
 
Like maybe you need to just start with either diet or exercise. Pick one. Just one.
 
For me, when I started my weight loss journey in 2010, I didn't think my life having two small kids would be conducive to a regular exercise routine. (Stay with me now....I know now this was completely a wrong way of thinking, but it's how I felt at the time and I am sure many of you are feeling the same way right now.)
 
So, I picked diet. And started tracking calories on My Fitness Pal. It's super easy with a smart phone and the app. But you can also use the online option. Its a great way to introduce portion control, making smart choices, and most importantly, AWARENESS into your daily diet.
 
Then, I introduced exercise.
 
Ya'll remember how excited I was to get this? This was back in 2008 and I did use Ellie for a while. Not regularly by any means, and looking back I feel like if I could read a novel while on her, I probably wasn't working as hard as I could have been working. We had a good run- ha- but I did send her off to a new home last week as she has not been used in a while.
 
Cost? About $350. Worth spending at the time, and definitely got my money's worth over 5 years, but I'm not sure that many of you are wanting to throw down that kind of cash right now. If you have $350 laying around, put it towards training with a professional and run for free outside.
 
But back to cost effective methods...
 
Something came over me in spring 2012 when I decided I wanted to do P-90X. It was a great experience, but I was so tired of hearing the same recorded jokes over and over again. And I had no one telling me that I was doing things right or wrong. But it was a great intro to "hard core" exercise and I am glad I did it.
 
Cost? Free...because we borrowed the DVD's. Don't buy them. Find a friend and borrow like I did. Then it's worth it.
 
[Here's in my time line where Zumba was introduced to me and I started dabbling in it. No obsession at this point, but definitely a love was blossoming.
 
Cost? $20 Living Social Deal. Thanks, Mom and Dad.]
 
So, when P-90X was over, I was hearing great things about Jillian and her 30 Day Shred. And I really loved that, too. It had a beginning and end, and I developed a girl crush on Jillian. I think if you are really starting to introduce exercise in your life, something like this- a 30 day program- is a great way to get in that habit. Make it a part of your day. It gives you something to "check off."
 
Cost? $7.69 plus tax, on Amazon.
 
And then, that's where my story changed. I needed more accountability. I needed a community. I needed a jump start. So, I jumped into Zumba and personal training and that's where I am now.
 
But July proved to be a challenging month for me. I was on vacation for two full weeks without my "community." It was very "Biggest Loser contestant goes home from the ranch." But luckily, I had a few things in my back pocket.
 
FREE things.
 
I have this great Facebook group where we do Monthly Challenges. May was a squat challenge. June was abs. July was an assortment. And August will be a squat/ab challenge. It's a great way to do SOMETHING each day of the month and then you can encourage (and be encouraged) along the way.
 
If you want to join this group, message me on FB...I'll add you happily!
 
 
 
Cost? FREE.
 
It's also great having a running buddy. I love running alone, but I also love a good 45 minutes of uninterrupted, sweaty time with this guy...

Cost? FREE.

While on vacation these two weeks, I was able to run 5 days and did anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes of circuit training exercises (just using my own body weight- sit ups, crunches, push ups, lunges, squats, leg raises, etc.) a few days as well. I made time in the day and made it a priority. It needed to be done.

I had only brought two piece bathing suits. Ha!

Diet is something I still struggle with and really try to keep in check. So many times you want to say "well, I worked out so I can eat whatever I want tonight." Nope.

I mean, I indulged.
But, I didn't go crazy.

And I still used My Fitness Pal to keep myself aware of what I was putting in my mouth. And how much.

It's a battle. I'm not gonna lie.

And it's always something that I will have to actively work on and deal with and be aware of.

And I'll be sure to keep you posted as I do. :-)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails