Monday, June 15, 2009

The halfway point....seriously? (Weeks 19 and 20)

Week 19 kinda slipped me by. Work was a bit busy (we are "spring cleaning" among our other many jobs), and we are slowly getting the house ready for our wee one to come in TWENTY weeks. Yikes! I really need to get all my ultrasound pics loaded on the computer to post...maybe later this week if I can convince someone at work to show me how to use the scanner. :-)

I'm feeling great...lots if energy. (Last week, I went through all of our baby clothes 0-2T to see if our little man could wear anything. The rest is going to McKenzie's baby, Ansley.) I've been eating like a horse (see pic below), so I am a bit worried about my weight when I go to my next doctor's visit on June 29th. :-)

Here's what Babycenter says happened last week (Week 19) and what is happening this week (Week 20):

Week 19:
How your baby's growing: Your baby's sensory development is exploding! His brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that he may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to him, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. His arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of his body now. His kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on his scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on his skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.

Week 20:
How your baby's growing: Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.) He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

And just so sweet Brooklyn was not left out...here is a picture of her and her god-sister, Allie. We ate dinner at PF Chang's with the Henzlers on Thursday night (Lettuce wraps- yum!) and then spent the day at the pool with them for Allie's (early) birthday on Saturday. I cannot believe I did not take any pictures at the pool, but for once, Brooklyn was all about being in the water so no time for lounging around taking pics. I was on guard watching her.
I hope everyone has a great week! Hopefully I can get everything together so I can participate in this week's Way Back When-esday. I love looking through the old pics every week. It makes me even more curious as to what our Bitty Brother will look like when he comes out!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails