Thursday, March 6, 2008

call your moms

So, after yesterday's ranting, I thought today's post would be more positive and uplifting. :-)

Unfortunately, it starts with some sadness....

My friend, Caroline's, grandmother passed away on Saturday, and I attended the memorial service yesterday afternoon. Her grandmother, Ellenor, had been a member of my church my whole life, she attended Sunday School with my mom and Grandma, and I grew up with all of her grandchildren- Caroline, in particular. She was always a very sweet woman, but learning more about her yesterday allowed me to have some "personal reflection time."

1. Ellenor was married to her husband, George, for 65 years. Wow. Chad and I have shared so many memories in the past 10 years....its amazing to think about what is yet to come. I admire their devotion, strength, and unfailing love, and I hope that one day, I will look at 80 year old Chad and think "Wow. Where has the time gone?....and where has your hair gone?"
2. Ellenor stayed in touch with about 8 women whom she had been friends with since her childhood. Ellenor was 86 years old when she passed so we are looking at about 70+ years of friendships with the SAME WOMEN. My friends and I pride ourselves on our upcoming "10 year friend-a-versary" but this just pales in comparison. 10 years has brought us multiple marriages, a baby, many moves in and out of the state, and just the regular hustle and bustle of life. But we have email, texting, MySpace, etc....and all that, though makes it easier to stay in touch, still needs the perserverance from us as people to make it work. Our weekly girls' nights, our annual Christmas party- all these things become priority for us, because, yes, we want to be those 80 year old women one day looking back at pictures of ourselves and know that through it all, these friendships remained constant. And I think we can do it. I KNOW we can do it.
3. Life is too short. Ellenor lived 86 years, yet I bet if you would have asked her, she would have lived another 86 more. We need to value one another, appreciate the time we have, hug our kids, call our moms (and grandmas), and just live life to its fullest every single day.

And maybe, just maybe, I won't rant anymore about my living room furniture. Then again, maybe not. I think it keeps me young. :-)

1 comment:

Emily Cole said...

Very nice Jaclyn. It is amazing how we hang on to friendships, and it's one of those things that makes life so great. She did live a wonderful and long life, it surprised me when I saw it on the announcements. I'm thinking about the Schlobohms today too. Great reflections!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails