Thursday, April 23, 2009

Week 12- Headed out of the first Trimester!

Week 12 started off great, because I ran out of prenatal vitamins and had to wait until Tuesday for a refill. So, I had a brief break in the never-ending nausea. :-)

I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon where I got to have an ultrascreen (*see note below as to what this is). I did NOT enjoy having to drink 32 ounces of water right before the ultrasound and then having the sweet technician press down on my belly, bladder, and uterus for 45 minutes. However, I did enjoy the entertaining show as my 2 inch baby swam, danced, waved, and stretched for the camera. It was amazing the detail in its little body at such an early age, and I just marveled, once again, at the miracle of life. Results were good- no signs of anything abnormal so far- and I will have more blood work at 16 weeks just to rule out other defects or problems. The baby's heartrate was 165 (very strong) and my blood pressure was 112/60 (yay!). Side note: I weighed myself before and after the screen because of the amount of water I had consumed, and after using the potty TWICE, I lost 2.9 pounds. :-) So, my doc was pleased with my weight gain this trimester (about 4 pounds). I hope to get my ultrasound pics scanned in my computer so I can post them. They are truly incredible. The technician did not feel comfortable giving me an official guess on the sex of the baby this early...however she said she "felt more girl than boy." But, don't go start buying anything pink just yet...we'll find out for sure on June 3rd. :-)

Because of the nausea, my doc also recommended that I start taking Zantac. She thinks that the nausea is triggered by heartburn and reflux. After taking it for two days, I can already tell a difference, so I am hoping this is my ticket to a normal life again. I even feel good enough to exercise tonight after work, so I am hoping this feeling lasts. I am so not ready for "shorts/skirts weather" yet.

Craving this week: Eggs and buttered toast (oh, Lord, just thinking about it now makes me want to pull out the skillet)

(*What Is Ultra-Screen®?Ultra-Screen® is a First-trimester prenatal screening protocol designed to provide patient specific risk for Down Syndrome, trisomy 18 and other chromosomal abnormalities. Ultra-Screen® combines ultrasound measurement of the fluid accumulation behind the neck of the fetus (nuchal translucency) with maternal serum markers and is the earliest and most effective Down Syndrome screen available. How Is Ultra-Screen® Performed? Ultra-Screen® consists of a combination of ultrasound exam and a blood test performed between 11 weeks 1 day, and 13 weeks 6 days of pregnancy. The ultrasound demonstrates a fetal heartbeat and determines gestational age. Then, the amount of fluid accumulation behind the neck of the baby, called nuchal translucency (NT) is measured. The blood sample is analyzed for two chemicals called free Beta human chorionic gonadotropin, and pregnancy associated plasma protein-A(PAPP-A) which are normally found in the blood of all pregnant women. The results of the ultrasound exam will be combined with the results of the blood test to estimate a specific risk for Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18.)

And just so you don't have to take my word for it...here's what the internet says is going on:
Your pregnancy: 12 weeks
How your baby's growing:The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce. How your life's changing:Your uterus has grown to the point where your healthcare provider can now feel the top of it (the fundus) low in your abdomen, just above your pubic bone. You may already be into maternity clothes, especially if this isn't your first pregnancy. If you're still fairly small and not yet ready for maternity clothes, you've no doubt noticed that your waist is thickening and that you're more comfortable in loose, less restrictive clothing.You may begin to feel heartburn (also called acid indigestion), a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of your breastbone to your lower throat. Many women get heartburn for the first time during pregnancy, and those who've previously had bouts of heartburn may find that it gets worse. During pregnancy, the placenta produces a lot of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. Particularly when you're lying down, gastric acid can seep back up the pipe, which causes the uncomfortable burning sensation. For many women the problem doesn't begin (or get worse) until later in pregnancy, when your growing uterus starts to push up on your stomach. The discomfort may range from mildly annoying to intense and distracting.

1 comment:

Cylar said...

If the Zantac doesn't work for you, check out Zophran (sp?). Julie had bad nausea throughout her pregnancy, and that really helped.

-Mike

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails