Thursday, September 22, 2016

Adventures in U-hauling...

(Disclaimer: For some reason, all previous posts' pictures are not showing due to some Picaso/BlogPress/Blogger upgrade. It's making me mad but nothing I can do about it right now, so if you are a new reader, you have no cute kid pictures to look at between 2012 and today. Grrrr.)

But anyways, back to our story.

So, let me give you the shortened version between end of July and September 9.

  • We received an offer on the house somewhere in Pennsylvania and signed the first offer in a taxi cab in NYC and then the final counter offer standing in line to get milkshakes in Times Square (gotta love technology).
  • Came home on a Friday, saw 8 houses on Saturday, and decided to make an offer on what became our house. (Let's not be fooled, though. This was 8 houses out of about 35 houses that I had seen between Sunday Open Houses and our realtor scheduling appointments since March- she's a saint and I am, apparently, a local record-breaker.)
  • Once that offer was accepted and signed, we started the process of inspections, appraisals, etc.
  • This is where most people continue to move along, start packing, etc. 
  • This is where our process had a (what I considered major-ish) hiccup.
  • Want to know what happens when your house doesn't appraise? (Well, you cuss a lot but ultimately you can't really do a dang thing except trust your amazing realtor and she takes care of everything for you.)
  • But needless to say, this hiccup caused me to not believe we were really moving.
  • Until oh, about September 2-ish. 
  • Have you ever packed an entire 1800 sq foot house in about a week?
Me either. Cause I kinda put it off a few more days and didn't really get serious until the day before.

Completely going against my Type A personality.

So, I did at least hire movers but, because of the timing of when we had to be out of the house, we had to pack one day, sleep at my parents one night, and then close on both homes and unpack the second day. We used U-haul with licensed professional movers. We went and picked up this beaut Wednesday afternoon to which the guy said and, I quote, "How big is your house? Are you sure you need 26 feet?" Me- "It's three bedrooms and bonus room but it's ok...we have some yard equipment and such that we can slide in at the last minute if there is extra room."

Famous. Last. Words.

So, the movers came at 2pm and started working. They were great but again, shortened version, 5 hours later they were still packing. (Side note: I paid for two hours. These are now extra hours I am paying for at a nice fee.)
And we then were out of room.

I called Chad at 4:30pm. "Can you pick up a trailer to tow behind your truck? I think we need a little extra space for the patio furniture and such."

Chad comes home. We fill the trailer.

Still bunch of stuff left.

6:45pm- Chad and his mom head to U-haul to get the if-you-are-keeping-count THIRD U-haul for our family.

10:30pm- We have packed three U-hauls, the back of my mom's jeep, mother-in-law's car, my van, Chad's truck....and possibly a neighbor or two's vehicle. It got dark and I wasn't sure where I started shoving stuff.

And there is still s--- in the garage.

What. The. Frick.

Where the heck did this stuff come from? And where did it reside for 8 years?

Um, apparently a 16x20 shed in the backyard holds a bunch.

So, here we are 10:30pm the night before we are due to close. Exhausted. Frustrated. Completely in awe of how much stuff we own and already making plans to sell all our possessions and live simply in our next home.

And still looking at stuff in the garage.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails