Monday, September 21, 2009

Weeks 32-34...Told you I was busy! :-)

I knew it would happen...I'm already behind in documenting poor Baby #2's life and he's not even born yet! :-) The last few weeks have been so busy with work, but in a way, that's great because it is also making this (incredibly uncomfortable) third trimester go by pretty quickly too. I had a 33 week doctor's appointment last Friday. Stats are good for both of us. I have gained about 31 total pounds and continuing to gain about a pound a week. More than I had hoped, but less than with Brooklyn, so I am not too disappointed. My blood pressure stays consistently at 120/70 and my belly is measuring right on target at 33-34 cm. Baby Jake's heartbeat was 143, and he has been sooooo active. He was laying horizontal for a while, but I think he is starting his journey "downstream" based on where I feel the most movement. I will try to enjoy the last few weeks of uncomfortable nights, constant peeing, arms in my rib cage, and head in my groin area seeing that I am 99% sure this is my last pregnancy. Its a miracle, a blessing, and just an all around wonderful thing to grow a child in your body, but I am ready for it to be over. Here are some pictures that we took at the 32 week mark.



And here is a brief synopsis of what Babycenter.com says has been going on in Weeks 32-34:
By Week 32, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. Jake now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). His skin is becoming soft and smooth as he plumps up in preparation for birth. By Week 33, your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (half a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. At Week 34, your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate his body temperature once he's born — are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails