Thursday, September 3, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Adams Farm Parkway!

We spent last Labor Day Weekend painting and moving into our new home. I REALLY cannot believe we have been here a year already. I went back to this post where I kind of gave a "2 week update" of how things were going, and I wanted to revist, one year later, things that I thought I would miss about our old house and things that I thought I would love in the new house. So....here's an UPDATE to the UPDATE one year later. My new comments are in purple.

Things I will miss about Eagle Road:
It's our first home: Well, it does hold, and will always hold, a special place in my heart, but as I stated before...it's just a house. Um...not really missing it so much now...:-)
Brooklyn's first (and only home): She made many memories in that house, and I look forward to the many will be make together here at the new house. After months of wanting to "visit" the old house and wondering who lived there now, she is asking about it less and less.
The backyard: We have a great backyard here- thank goodness! Chad has done a great job maintaining our new backyard. We have added a swingset/playground, and despite a "bee problem" right now, we have spent many hours outside with Brooklyn.
My gardenias: Seriously, I am kind of over them already. Sadly, I never did have a green thumb. However, Chad keeps telling me that we will plant some more gardenias in the front yard...probably in the spring.
Vaccuming: I have found that I can vaccum the new house using two plugs, so that's not too bad. Since becoming pregnant Chad has done most of the vaccuming so this really hasn't been an issue for me. :-)
The hole: Dad and I looked, and although we don't have a wall where we can make another hole, the space is open enough, I think we will be OK. :-) I am surviving without a "hole in the wall." The Stevensons: We will always miss you guys! Actually, the Stevensons bought a house closer to us, so even though we are not a block away (a mere 60 second run proven by Jon), we are still within 5 minutes. :-)

And now an update on things I had looked forward to at the new house:
Duel sinks in the master bath: Honestly, the duel sinks are not that great (more to clean) but the COUNTER SPACE is incredible in the master bath! Still loving the bathroom and counter space. No complaints here.
Cool sink nozzle/sprayer in the kitchen: Yup, love it! Still love it though I have been so busy lately its amazing I even SEE my kitchen much less cook in it.
Hardwood floors: Spills have been great to clean up downstairs (no stains on the carpet upstairs yet!) I should probably mop them more often, but I do like not having the stained carpet in high traffic areas.
A place to have a big Christmas tree (in the LIVING ROOM): Yet to be determined since, thankfully, I have a few weeks until the holiday season. We had a GREAT first Christmas in our new home. The tree (about 8 feet) fit GREAT in the space and we were very excited to have Christmas in the living room and not our kitchen/dining room as in past years.
New carpet and paint upstairs (that I didn't have to do!): Some rooms I like, some not so much now that we are moved in with our stuff (like the master bedroom). Over the summer, Chad painted the master bedroom and both full baths upstairs. I love the new colors and am very excited about doing some more "decorating" in the next several months.
Side by side fridge with an ice maker (that's connected!): Once I figure out the best way to store food efficiently, it will be great. Fridge has been organized; ice works; life is good.
Retractable, remote controlled awning on the patio (cement, not brick- yay!): We've already spent a lot of time outdoors and that extra shade has been nice. Still LOVE the awning and back patio.
Neighbors with kids (three years old, too!): We met Peyton, a three year old, next door- VERY cute and friendly! Peyton and Brooklyn still love playing together and its nice to have a young couple our age living next door.
A dutch barn (as opposed to the "out house" looking contraption we call storage now): Already filled with crap; I'm gonna have to get in there and clean! Filled with lots of baby stuff and empty maternity clothes bins that will soon be in use or given away over the next few months. It's been great to have the extra storage.
A bonus room (or as Brooklyn calls it, "her dancing space"): Been a GOD SEND for all her toys. Now, is also the home of an elliptical trainer and the office furniture so it's a bit cramped now, but still a great space for us to have.
CLOSETS: Like the dutch barn- already filled up but up for a good cleaning out when I get the chance (or when we move again, whichever comes first). They are currently filled with tubs of my regular clothes and maternity clothes that are "off season," but after November, they will be GREAT wrapping paper and craft storage closets.
A breakfast table (more chairs for everyone!): We LOVE our new table from World Market. Still love it and wish that we ate at home more to enjoy it. :-)
Surround sound: Not hooked up yet; Probably will never be. Actually, Chad did hook up the stereo so we have sound coming from our two main speakers, but as for surround sound, nope, not yet. :-)

1 comment:

Aunt Jenni said...

Happy 1 yr anniversary in the new home... I can't believe it has been a year too. Time goes fast when you are having fun...did you ever think you would fill up all the bedrooms this quick either...lol. I am happy that I am becoming a GREAT AUNT again, thank you for all your blessings that you have or are sharing. Love you all. Aunt Jenni

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails