Friday, October 16, 2009

37 Weeks


As so enthusiastically expressed a few days ago, we have reached full term- 37 weeks! It's such a great feeling on one hand, but at the same time I am feeling every bit of those 37 weeks on my joints and muscles. I went to the doctor today and had a good appointment with the midwife on staff because my beloved Dr. C is on vacation this week. Some of the normal: blood pressure is 120/70, minor swelling in the ankles (cankles, anyone?) and the hands (cannot get wedding band off- oops!), pelvic pain and pressure (normal at this point when the baby is engaged and ready to go), and heartbeat of Jake was 140. Some interesting points: I am measuring at 40 weeks (about 2 weeks ahead) and concerned about the size of this baby. My plan is to have a VBAC unless we go to 39 weeks and then I will just have my scheduled c-section on monday, october 26th. However, with the size of little Jake growing dramatically, I expressed concerns today about going in and laboring for hours, just to have to end up in a c-section anyway because he was too big to deliver. She valued my concerns and said she completely understood. So....we scheduled an ultrasound for monday afternoon to do a size check. That way, when I enter the hospital I can make an informed decision about which route to take. I'm excited about seeing our (possibly not so) little man on the sonogram on monday...it will help this last week go by quicker.

What Babycenter says:
How your baby's growing: Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away.Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails