Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas 3.0

After spending time at home this Christmas morning, we headed to my parents' house to open presents and eat brunch with them and my brother. Then, at 4pm, the rest of the family (and assorted other guests) arrived for Christmas dinner. All the kids get more presents, and the adults participate in a Secret Santa (we draw names the year before). I actually had my grandfather this year, and because of his unexpected passing in May, I didn't know what I was going to do. I spoke with my mom in November and found out that he actually had drawn Chad's name. My grandmother was taking care of Chad's gift, so I decided that instead of a physical gift, I would do a monetary memorial for my grandfather. He suffered from Parkinsons' Disease, but I knew that was not what defined him as the wonderful man that he was. He was a giver. My grandfather would do anything for anybody in need. So, I spoke with Frank, the outreach director at our church, and asked what needs there were this Christmas. There was a member of our church who was coordinating the purchase of 150 toothbrushes and other tolietries for the homeless of Greensboro. I knew this would be where I want my donation to go. This was so special for me to do in his memory, and I have a feeling I want to do more gifts like this in the future. After all, it is always better to give than to receive.

Here are some pictures from Christmas afternoon/evening...

3 Generations of Johnson men
My grandmother's gift to Chad were matching "father/son hats." They are soooo cute!
All the Roever cousins...11 of us in this generation. We have added Chad by marriage and my two babies, and I have a feeling that in the next several years, we will add many more. I am the oldest, and I think we actually lined up in age order from back row to front row from right to left.
My super cute parents
Sweet Jake's first ChristmasMy grandmother entertaining her only great grandson.
Brother and sister!
Brooklyn's favorite present of the day was definitely her digital camera. She is such a shutterbug.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails