Monday, February 1, 2010

Snow Fun

I just love long weekends...especially weekends when you are forced to stay at home and go NOWHERE. We are a very busy on-the-go family. When Jake was born, we slowed down a bit and stayed at home quite a bit in those first few weeks. We were just getting back into "regular life" of weekly band practice, evening Girl Scout meetings, dinners out, etc, when we got this blessing of the Winter Storm 2010. It couldn't have come at a better time. We really just needed some family time (and time to clean my house). BUT...because I live with two people who like to stay busy and are always wondering two things 1. What's for dinner? and 2. Who's coming over? I knew that I needed to get creative. First I stocked up on TONS of food, including some special snacks and things to bake for "cooking activities." What I did forget, though, was stuff for snow cream, but we improvised with what we had and added some blue coloring because, let's face it, adding food coloring just makes things more fun. :-)

We let Brooklyn outside for just about 20 minutes that first morning because she was recovering from a cold and cough.
Day 2, we invited the Henzlers over for some winter fun...including lots of snacks and sledding down our driveway. Jake also has a small cold and cough, so he has been inside all weekend. I am not risking any sleepless nights just to get a cute pic of him in the snow. He's cute inside in the kitchen.

Allie and Brooklyn
Joe and Chad had a blast sledding down the driveway on baking sheets, garbage can lids, and an actual sled. (We aren't ALWAYS ghetto!)

We have also been doing lots of arts and crafts...I have turned the dining room into a temporary art studio for the time being because I hate packing it all up and bringing it all out over and over again. And....we have been teaching Brooklyn to read. She has been doing AWESOME with her beginner books and is having the best time learning. Not to mention, she is super proud of herself.
So, thank you God for this wonderful blessing of uninterrupted time with my family to just "be." We needed it. Though Jake will be quite lonely for his sister when she returns to school tomorrow. I think I might be a little, too.

1 comment:

Jessica Gentel said...

That's awesome that's she's learning to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails