Wednesday, November 4, 2009

One week down...

I can't believe its been a little over a week since our precious son was born. Part of me thinks this has been so much easier than the first time and part of me feels its quite a bit harder.

Let me explain...

It's easier:
1. We knew right away what we needed to have onhand to have a happy newborn- Mylicon (gas drops) and a swaddle. Jake has been swaddled since day one and so far, in the nights, he is soooo easy to feed, change, and put right back down to bed. With Brooklyn it was a lot of holding in the middle of the night and sleeping on the couch with her beside me in a car seat, swing, etc.

2. Breastfeeding has been somewhat easier this time around because I can pick up the cues and tell the difference between wanting to eat and just wanting to suck (on a paci). I also knew what went wrong with Brooklyn's "latch" and how it was soooo painful, so I knew right away what his little mouth needed to look like. So, besides the normal soreness that comes from starting to nurse, things have been so much easier this time around, and I have not had to pump or use a bottle yet.

3. I am well aware that this time is so short and I am trying to enjoy every second of being at home with a newborn who just wants to snuggle and eat. I am not wishing away these first few weeks as I did with Brooklyn (just wanting her to "do something") and just enjoying the NOW.

It's harder:
1. I am wanting to do more around the house despite recovering from the c-section. I probably pushed it a bit hard the first few days at home (should NOT have played Wii bowling Monday night), and now I am starting to have to take more pain meds again. I need patience to allow my body to heal, but I just cannot stand being right there on the couch and seeing the dishes in the sink or the laundry in the basket.

2. Having another child at home has been the most challenging thing so far. Brooklyn is an awesome child, but she obviously is not used to having to share Mommy and Daddy. She is adjusting well and is getting showered with attention by grandparents and whichever one of us does not have Jake, but it's still hard on her. It's probably the most emotional part of this journey for me...not being able to give her my full attention all the time. Being a fulltime working mom, 5-8pm has always been "Brooklyn time." But now, her time is having to be shared with a hungry little baby that hasn't really done too much for her yet. She has had a very hard time returning to school this week, and quite honestly, part of me just wants her home with me and Jake, but I know that wouldn't do any of us any good. So, we are both fighting tears every morning (poor Chad, I know!) and just trying to get used to this "new normal." She is doing great with Jake, though, and each and every day shows more interest in touching him and watching him. She loves to touch his hands and his hair ("it's fuzzy," she says) and has stated that she "does NOT want to see his poop again!" One of these days I am sure she will want to hold him, but for now, I am loving seeing things like this:

("Biggest sister" Allie comes to visit Sunday, November 1st)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love your posts! I'm reading and memorizing them for my time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails