Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Need a good birthday party idea?

I want to take a moment and brag on Bounce U. I was a bit hestitant in scheduling a birthday party here "sight unseen." When I have been in there before, the inflatables were deflated so I had no idea what the rooms actually looked like and what they offered in terms of entertainment. In addition, Brooklyn has never attended a party there. But, I am a sucker for discounts and cheap deals, so when I received a coupon for a $99.00 birthday party, I thought, "hey, worth a shot." I pulled up their website, showed Brooklyn the video online showing a birthday party, and we both decided to give them a chance. My mom took Brooklyn to an "open bounce" a few days later so she could try it out (because I would have the daughter that would stand in the corner, terrified, at her own party). Mom said Brooklyn LOVED it and was so brave going on even the largest slide.

For $99.00, we got an hour of bouncing and a 1/2 hour in the party room for (up to) 25 kids and unlimited adults on a weekday night. Now, having a birthday party for a 5 year old on a Wednesday is a bit unconventional, but it was her actual birthday, so it made sense to Brooklyn (and I just hoped at least a few of her friends could come). Not only did a few come, but everyone but 2 families came!

We had a full house. It was loud. It was a bit warm. But, all the kids had fun- from 1 year old to 18 years old. It was not at my house. And it was over in an hour and a half. Score.

Let's get personal and talk finances here (because I can and I want to remind myself in years to come).

In past years, I have had three birthday parties for Brooklyn. One on her actual birthday with immediate family, one for extended family, and one with school friends. I have had her "school friends" party at the Children's Museum for the past two years. Also an excellent place for a party. But also about $250.00 on a Saturday. Add cake and snacks, goody bags, drinks and snacks for the parents, and paper products, and we total usually about $350.00 for this party.

THEN, we would also have the family party. Another cake. More paper products. More snacks. Another Saturday blown. About $50.00.

So, we have usually spent about $400.00 for Brooklyn's Birthday Bonanza. (Not that she isn't worth it, but hey, she's a KID.)

This year, I have had to be a bit more frugal because of having Jake and knowing that in a few weeks we will have two children in daycare/school. We're trying to live as resourcefully as we can without making huge sacrifices.

So, here's how Bounce U broke down.

They "get you" because you cannot bring in ANY outside food besides a cake. They offer pizza, ice cream, drinks, tons of snacks, etc. etc. etc. But, they also make you bounce first and party last, so there was no way I could serve a "dinner" before 7:30-8:00pm that night. So, we pushed the party to 6:30pm, hoping that allowed for people to get a quick bite to eat. I added Lemonade and Goldfish to our party package, and chose their unlimited paper product option. (Best decision ever with kids and spillage.) I bought a cake from Walmart (and let Brooklyn pick out whatever design she wanted from the catalogue). I also chose to do just a "one item" takeaway as opposed to a goody bag made up of lots of little (let's be honest here) crap. That way, if there were extras, packages were not opened, and I could return the leftovers. BTW, Target has great stuff in their "front of the store dollar bin."

So.....
Party $99.00
Cake (Walmart 1/2 sheet) $30.00
Goldfish $7.00
Paper Products (unlimited from Bounce U) $8.00
Goodies (sidewalk chalk and bubbles) $26.00 (but I have 7 to return so about $20.00)
Grand Total: $165.00

Momma's happy. And I can afford to buy Jake diapers this month. :-)

3 comments:

Ang said...

Birthday parties are ridiculously expensive. It pains me each year....wait till jake gets another year older and you must have 2 parties.... resourceful will be a definite part of vocabulary:) Sounds like fun though and got me to thinking about a place like that around me that I will have to check out! We have done the park and other free places so far, but for her 5 year party we want to do something a little more special!

Elizabeth said...

this is the first year we are doing tyler's party outside of our house. We are shelling out $200 for a private party at Jumpin Beans (similar to the place you are talking about) but everything is included but the cake. Still...I think tyler's only getting a game from us this bday! lol!

McKenzie said...

Awesome. So filing this in the "things to remember when Ansley gets older" category...

And holy crap I don't think I've ever totalled out how much I've spent on birthday stuff before, but I'm going to have to start!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails