Monday, September 12, 2011

Slow Cooker Sunday: Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

I got caught up in watching some of the great 9/11 tributes on TV last night and didn't get around to posting this recipe. It made me realize just how blessed I truly am to be able to do simple things like crock pot meals with my family when so many are still grieving. I just thank God everyday for how lucky I am and just how wonderful and free this country truly is.


I am also home with a sick baby boy today so I have some time for some blogging. :-)


Last night's recipe came from the awesome Mama Carson, who found the recipe and posted it on my Facebook wall. I invite any of you to do the same. :-)


The recipe is here, but I tweaked it a bit as I indicated below.


And my picture does not do justice to just how yummy this meal truly was. I served these sliders with Bush's baked beans (not pictured).




Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches


Ingredients:


6-8 boneless chicken thighs (Using thighs was perfect. The meat was so juicy and super easy to pull apart.)


1 can of pineapple chunks, drained


1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce


Hawaiian Sweet Rolls


*The recipe also called for one small onion, diced, but when Chad cut into our onion it looked a bit sketch so we chose to toss it and do without.


Directions:


1. Place chicken in crock pot.


2. Place onions (if not nasty like mine) and drained pineapple chunks on top of chicken.


3. Cover everything with the 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce. (And if you are not using Sweet Baby Ray's you are truly missing out.)


4. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.


5. Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and then add back to the crock pot to mix with the sauce. (Now, I did not see in the beginning of the recipe that the chicken needed to marinate about an hour like this to soak up all the sauce. We were hungry so it sat maybe 10 minutes and was still really good. But, I bet after an hour it would have been awesomely soaked and flavorful.)


6. Spoon chicken BBQ mixture on hawaiian sweet rolls and serve!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails