Monday, September 5, 2011

Slow Cooker Sunday: Creamy Chicken and Potatoes

So, because it's a holiday weekend I find it excusable that I forgot to post this last night, right? :-)

I'm not sure if you have heard of a group on Facebook called Crock Pot Girls. They have just a few followers....like 1.1 MILLION after about 2 weeks!! While I can silently congratulate myself for hopping on the crock pot train way before Facebook made it cool (hey- just like Glee), I am a bit close to slapping myself saying, "Why the heck didn't I start a "Slow Cooker Sunday" page?

But, I digress. And just to show I am a good sport, I decided to utilize this new resource and try one of their recipes.

The bad news? It actually kinda stunk. The good news? It actually kinda stunk.

But, I do see possibility and if you tweak the recipe a bit, you could actually have a great, filling meal.

Creamy Chicken and Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8-10 small new red potatoes
8 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
black pepper, to taste
poultry seasoning, to taste

Directions:
1. Sprinkle poultry seasoning on chicken and lay in the crock pot. (This is where I would tweak and really add more seasonings. It was pretty bland with just the little bit of poultry seasoning.)
2. Arrange the potatoes around the chicken.
3. Mix the sour cream and cream of chicken soup and add a generous amount of black pepper.
4. Pour the mixture over the chicken and potatoes.
5. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
*Ok, here is where we must have had issues because I did 4.5 hours and the chicken was perfect but the potatoes were way under cooked. If you go longer, you will have cooked potatoes but tough chicken. I think instead of the small potatoes I would either do the teeny red potatoes in the store and do 5 hours or use bigger, fatter chicken breasts so I could cook everything longer. The flavor had potential but wasn't knock-your-socks-off.

So there you have it.

Maybe I will visit the Crock Pot Guys page next week. :-)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails