Monday, April 25, 2011

Slow Cooker Sunday: Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Did you miss me? We had a crazy Sunday night that started with a baby hacking up a lung and ended with a kindergartner puking in my bathroom.

But don't worry. She didn't eat this chowder. :-)

And I realize that I probably shouldn't talk about ailments in my recipe posts but I am just too exhausted to edit.

But before the madness began Sunday, I did manage to get this yumminess rockin' in the crock pot.

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
4 cups of chicken broth
2 carrots, sliced in discs
2 potatoes, diced
2 (16 ounce) bags of frozen corn
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1 pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup cream

Directions:
1. Combine chicken broth, all vegetables, bay leaf, 1 tsp of salt, and 1 cup of water in the slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until all the vegetables are tender. Note: I found that, unfortunately, after 6 hours my vegetables were a bit al dente. I should have done 6 hours on high, but just trust your instincts and watch your pot.
3. Puree three cups of soup in a blender (or Magic Bullet) and return to slow cooker.
4. Stir in shrimp and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until shrimp are pink and done.
5. Stir in cream and cook until warmed through (about 2 minutes).
6. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

This was a great recipe that made a bunch of soup! Now, planning a soup dinner for an 85 degree day was not our smartest move, but Chad wanted corn and shrimp and this was what I came up with thanks to Google and myrecipes.com. :-)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails